My family refers to these red potatoes with bacon and gorgonzola as "crack" potatoes because they are so addicting! Better yet, they are easy to prepare and make the perfect side dish for just about anything. We enjoy them with hamburgers, steaks, pork chops, ribs, and even seafood.
When selecting red potatoes, look for small to medium sized tubers as they will cook faster and be much easier to smash. Larger potatoes are a bit more difficult to work with and often fall apart during the smashing. If this occurs, simply use your hands to form potato patties. Be certain that potatoes are fork tender and lightly oil the bottom of a glass for a more uniform smash.
Yield: 12 potatoes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
12 small red potatoes
3 teaspoons Himalayan Pink Salt or coarse Sea Salt (2 teaspoons for salting water and 1 teaspoon for seasoning)
4-5 slices thick Bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup Peanut Oil or Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
1/2 cup Gorgonzola Cheese crumbles
1. Thoroughly wash potatoes and place in a large pot. Add enough water to cover potatoes with about an inch of water above.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and bring water to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce heat to simmer and cook potatoes until completely tender; about 30 minutes.
4. While potatoes are boiling, prepare bacon. Fry in a skillet or bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes. Drain grease from bacon and after it's cooled, chop into pieces and set aside.
5. Drain cooked potatoes and let cool for a few minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Lightly grease the bottom of a drinking glass. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and gently smash each one to form a patty.
8. Brush each potato patty with a light coat of oil, then season with salt and pepper.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning potatoes over once.
10. Remove potatoes from oven and top each with bacon crumbles and Gorgonzola cheese.
11. Return to oven and bake for 3-4 minutes or until cheese becomes bubbly and light golden brown.
12. Remove from oven, transfer to serving plate and serve immediately.