The slow roasted garlic chicken is the star of our Sunday dinner. I stuff the cavity with any leftover vegetables in the crisper. Most common selections include: one whole onion, two carrots, two celery stalks, and one lemon. Cut the lemon in half and place one half inside the cavity; add remaining vegetables; than seal the cavity with the remaining lemon half.
1 whole Roasting Chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
1/2 stick unsalted Butter, cut into 1/2-inch thick triangles
6 cloves Garlic, sliced in half lengthwise
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Beau Monde Seasoning
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
1. Remove organs from the cavity and dispose of or use for gravy. Rinse chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Stuff cavity with vegetables, if desired.
3. Place chicken in a slow cooker. Separate skin from meat in the breast area. Place 3 to 4 butter pads under the skin on each side of the breast.
Using a paring knife, make small slits at the leg joint. Place 2 to 3 pads of butter under the skin.
4. Place 2 to 3 garlic cloves under the skin in breast and leg areas.
5. Wash hands, then mix seasonings together.
6. Drizzle olive oil over the entire bird and lightly rub oil to cover the surface.
7. Evenly distribute spices and lightly pat.
8. Cover and cook over high heat for 3 hours.
9. Baste with juices, cover, and reduce heat to low for 3 to 4 hours.
10. Remove chicken from slow cooker and let rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes.
11. Remove vegetables from the cavity and discard.
12. Gently pull chicken legs and wings from the body.
13. Slice breast meat crosswise into 1-inch slices.
14. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.