Ready to gourmet-up your waffle? Love eating waffles for dinner? If so, you will love this Bacon, Gorgonzola, and Scallion Belgian Waffle! This sweet and savory treat is super easy to prepare and will leave you satisfied and full.
Not only is this bacon and cheese waffle a great meal, it is also a great appetizer. Rather than serve it whole, cut into 8 slices and serve with warm maple syrup and confectioner's sugar. It's amazing!
While I prefer homemade waffle mix, you can substitute with boxed mix. One of my favs is Krusteaz brand. You can also change up this recipe by using different types of bacon and cheese.
BACON, GORGONZOLA, AND SCALLION BELGIAN WAFFLES RECIPE
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 minutes
4 slices Cherrywood or Applewood Bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 Scallions, thinly sliced. Reserve 2 Tablespoons for garnish
1/2 cup Gorgonzola Cheese, grated
2 cups all-purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1-1/2 teaspoons Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 cups Buttermilk
2 Tablespoons Butter, melted
1 Tablespoon Bacon grease
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add bacon slices and cook each side for 4-5 minutes; until crisp. Transfer bacon slices to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess grease. Reserve 1 Tablespoon of bacon grease. When cool, chop bacon into small bits.
2. Slice scallions thinly and set aside.
3. Grate cheese and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Whisk ingredients until well combined.
5. In a small mixing bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and bacon grease.
6. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. The batter will be somewhat lumpy.
7. Fold in bacon bits, cheese, and scallions.
8. Preheat a Belgian waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.
9. Lightly spray the waffle iron with non-stick spray.
10. Add about 1 cup of batter per waffle. Close waffle iron and cook until the light turns green.
11. Transfer waffles to serving plate and top with maple syrup and scallions.