These bite-size parmesan cheeese puffs are light and airy with a hint of saltiness from the cheese and a crispy outer shell. They are perfect on their own or can be paired with a light dipping sauce.
The cheese puffs can be fried in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan. I prefer using peanut oil, but they can also be fried in vegetable or canola oil. They are perfect for dinner parties, BBQ's, family gatherings, holidays, and wine tasting parties.
DEEP FRIED PARMESAN CHEESE PUFFS
Yield: 24 (1-inch balls)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 minutes
6 cups Peanut Oil (can substitute with vegetable or canola oil)
2 cups finely grated Parmesan Cheese (can also use Parmigiano-Reggiano)
1/4 cup all-purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
4 large Egg Whites at room temperature
1. Heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy 3-quart saucepan to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a small bowl, mix grated cheese, flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, add egg whites and beat with a hand or stand mixer until stiff peaks form.
4. Add 1/2 cup of cheese mixture and gently mix until ingredients are incorporated.
5. Add remaining cheese mixture and gently mix into a soft ball.
6. Use a cookie scoop to form 1-inch balls. Carefully drop cheese puffs into hot oil and cook until crisp on both sides. It's recommended to fry cheese puffs in batches of 8 to 10 balls.
7. Transfer cheese puffs to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess grease. Transfer to serving plate and devour!