The following baked chicken with Turkish figs and walnuts recipe was inspired by a dish served at one of my favorite local restaurants, Flip Flops Grill and Chill. The executive chef is Danny Veltri, winner of the popular show, Hell's Kitchen and they serve some amazing food there!
The first time I tried Flip Flops baked chicken with figs entrée I knew I had to try to recreate it. The flavor is so rich and robust and the fig seeds add an additional flavor profile that pulls everything together. Even my husband, who isn't a fan of figs, enjoyed this recipe and encouraged me to add it to our list of favorite recipes.
I served the baked chicken with Turkish figs with a side of homemade chicken risotto and fresh steamed green beans. If you've never made risotto, check out my article, How to Prepare Homemade Risotto published at Associated Content.
BAKED CHICKEN WITH TURKISH FIGS AND WALNUTS
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Beau Monde Seasoning
1 teaspoon ground Ginger
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup dried Turkish figs, chopped
2 Tablespoons light Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon Wine
1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped
Zest of 1 Lemon, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Place in large resealable plastic bag.
3. Add garlic, Beau Monde seasoning, ginger, salt, red wine vinegar, olive oil and figs. Gently massage to incorporate ingredients into chicken. If desired, allow to marinate 20 to 30 minutes in refrigerator.
4. Place chicken breasts and marinade in glass baking dish.
5. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pour Cabernet Sauvignon between each breast.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes, or until juices run clear.
8. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
9. Transfer to serving plate and top with chopped walnuts and lemon zest.