Rock shrimp stuffed with asiago cheese and jalapenos is the perfect summertime food. This delightful seafood dish can be cooked on the grill, under the broiler, on a flat top griddle or in a skillet. Talk about versatile!
Rock shrimp stuffed with asiago cheese and jalapenos makes a great appetizer and is perfect for entertaining. It also makes a great entree and can be paired with red potatoes, corn on the cob, baked beans, potato salad, green beans, seasoned rice or anything else you enjoy combining with shrimp.
Rock shrimp are deep water crustaceans, harvested in 120 to 240 feet of water. They have a hard exoskelton and taste similar to lobster. When preparing this recipe, you will need to remove the shell by using a pair of sharp kitchen scissors to snip the back of the shell away from the body and tail. Rock shrimp have a sand vein which can be removed by rinsing under cold running water.
NOTE: Prior to preparing the rock shrimp recipe, place 12 toothpicks in a small container filled with water. Soaking the toothpicks prevents them from burning and makes them easier to remove when the shrimp is cooked.You can also use wooden or metal skewers if desired. Place 3 to 4 shrimp per skewer and cook as directed below.
ROCK SHRIMP STUFFED WITH ASIAGO CHEESE AND JALAPENOS
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
24 Rock Shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 ounces Asiago Cheese, shredded
1 medium Jalapeno Pepper, seeds removed and minced
12 slices Bacon
1. Place 12 toothpicks or wooden skewers in a container filled halfway with water.
2. Wash shrimp in cold running water. Remove shell and butterfly shrimp by cutting lengthwise along the back, leaving tail section intact. Be careful not to cut all the way through. Pat dry with paper towel.
3. Finely grate asiago cheese.
4. Mince jalapeno pepper and mix with cheese.
5. Cut bacon slices in half.
6. Stuff each shrimp with 1 teaspoon of cheese mixture.
7. Wrap each shrimp with 1/2 slice of bacon and secure with toothpick or place on skewer.
8. Place shrimp on a broiler pan or grill and cook until bacon begins to crisp; about 4 minutes.
9. Turn shrimp and cook until bacon is done; about 4 minutes.
10. Transfer to plate and serve immediately.