During the holidays, I went home to visit my family in Indiana. Pretty much everything I know about cooking was taught to me by my mom. She is the Queen of putting together a scrumptious, melt-in-your-mouth meal with her ever-present Crockpot.
When I arrived, the aromatics of mom's Beef Pot Roast filled the air. I could smell it the instant I opened my car door. The moment I crossed the threshold, my salivary glands went into overdrive and I was instantly drawn to the Crockpot sitting on the counter.
As I approached the Crockpot, it took every ounce of energy to not stick a fork in and grab a morsel. Mom informed me I would have to wait one more hour before diving into her famous concoction of beef, onion soup, burgundy wine and mushrooms. The wait was excruciating!
It wasn't easy prying this recipe from mom. But, she's a passionate foodie and with a little persuasion from her favorite daughter (sorry Sis!) she agreed to share her divine recipe with The Cheap Gourmet readers. I am honored to pass along this tried-and-true Crockpot recipe to you and hope that you and your family enjoy it for years to come!
CROCKPOT BEEF ROAST WITH BURGUNDY WINE GRAVY RECIPE
1-2 cloves Garlic, peeled
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-1/2 to 3 pound Eye-of-Round or Beef Rump Roast
1 packet of dry Onion Soup mix
1/2 cup Water
1 can Mushroom soup mix (my favorite is Campbell's Golden Mushroom)
1/3 cup Burgundy Wine (Merlot or Cabernet are excellent choices)
4 teaspoons Cornstarch
1/4 cup Water
1 (4 ounce) jar sliced Mushrooms, optional
- Place roast in a shallow pan and allow to come to room temperature; about 2 hours.
- Rub roast with garlic, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to heavy skillet, turn heat level to high.
- Carefully place roast in heated oil and sear* on all sides.
- Remove beef from skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and transfer beef roast to crockpot.
- Add dry onion soup mix and 1/2 cup water to skillet used for searing and mix well.
- Cook soup mixture for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add mushroom soup and wine to soup mixture, stir well.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture over beef roast in slow cooker. If necessary, add water so liquid covers three-quarters of the roast. Cover.
- Cook 6 to 8 hours or until roast is fork tender.**
- Remove roast from crockpot, place on plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Add cornstarch to 1/4 cup cold water and stir.
- Add mixture to liquid in crockpot and cook until thickened; then cook one additional minute.
- Add water if necessary for desired consistency.
- Add sliced mushrooms, if desired and heat thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture to gravy pitcher and serve with beef roast.
- Slice beef roast and transfer to serving platter.
*Sear means to brown beef on all sides to lock in juices and create a crisp outer layer.
**Fork tender means the beef will easily fall apart when a fork is inserted, pulling the meat away from the roast.
If desired, add quartered onion chunks, red potatoes and baby carrots. Place in crockpot after adding the soup-wine mixture. Or serve with mashed potatoes and vegetable side dishes.