It's that time of year where holiday desserts are offered at office parties, home parties, school parties and family gatherings. The next few weeks, The Cheap Gourmet will focus on providing a variety of recipes that you can serve or take to holiday gatherings. No worries, I'll also be including low-fat, low-calorie desserts along with appetizers and a variety of healthy party foods!
Today, I'd like to share one of my favorite holiday dessert recipes with you - the Banana Split Brownie Pizza. This recipe is super easy to make and perfect for any party. You can take it to the office, serve it at parties or give it as a gift. It tastes so yummy that you might want to make an extra just for YOU!
This recipe requires the use of Parchment paper and a baking stone. If you don't have a baking stone, you can use a regular pizza pan. However, do not attempt to make this without the use of parchment paper or you'll end up with a big mess in your oven. You can purchase parchment paper in most grocery stores at a cost of around $3.50. Once you use parchment paper in your baking endeavors, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it! It makes things slide right off and eliminates sticking so you'll always have perfect desserts!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 15-20 minutes
1 (21-ounce) package Brownie Mix
1/2 cup Applesauce
1/2 cup Water
1 (8-ounce) package Cream Cheese, softened (use Light Cream Cheese, if desired)
1/2 cup Confectioner's Sugar
2 medium Bananas, sliced 1/2-inch thick and tossed in lemon juice to prevent browning
1 cup fresh Strawberries, sliced
1 (8-ounce) can crushed Pineapples, drained
2 Tablespoons Walnuts, chopped
4 Tablespoons semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine brownie mix, applesauce, water and egg. Mix by hand as per package directions.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of a 15-inch Baking Stone or pizza pan.
- Pour brownie mixture on top of paper and spread into a 14-inch circle.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine softened cream cheese and powdered sugar. Mix by hand or using an electric mixer until smooth.
- Using an icing spreader or butter knife, spread cream cheese mixture over top of brownie crust.
- Slice bananas and dip in small amount of lemon juice to prevent browning. Drain excess lemon juice and place banana slices on top of cream cheese mixture.
- Slice strawberries length-wise and place on top of of brownie pizza.
- Add crushed pineapple to pizza.
- Sprinkle walnuts and chocolate chips on top of fruit.
- Chill for at least one hour; longer if possible.
- Cut into 16 wedges and serve.
For those watching their calorie intake one slice of Banana Split Brownie Pizza contains approximately 250 calories and 7 grams of fat.