There's nothing better than banana bread with chocolate chips on a cold winter morning. This easy-to-prepare recipe is the perfect choice for Christmas morning breakfast, holiday brunch or any holiday celebration.
This chocolate chip banana bread makes a fantastic gift for teachers, mail carriers, neighbors, co-workers, family and friends. Simply wrap individual loaves in colored plastic wrap, tie with ribbon, stick on a festive bow and voila!, you'll have a gift everyone will enjoy!
To obtain more servings and offer guests "finger food", slice the banana bread in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 1-inch slices. Serve plain, top with ice cream or whipped cream, or slather on a layer of peanut butter and put two slices together to create a decadent chocolate chip peanut butter banana sandwich. Yum-O!
Yield: 2 loaves
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 45 to 50 minutes
2 cups unbleached all-purpose Flour
1 cup granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup ripe Bananas, mashed (about 3 small or 2 medium)
1/2 cup shortening or solid Coconut oil (Coconut oil will add a rich coconut flavor)
1 cup semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Pecans or Walnuts, chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease bottom only of two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2-inch loaf pans.
- In large mixing bowl combine all ingredients except chocolate chips and nuts.
- Blend ingredients well using a hand-held electric mixer set on medium speed.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.