Anyone who knows me will tell you that I love to experiment in the kitchen. Several years ago I had the pleasure of working as a prep chef in a popular health food store and later went to work at a prestigious private Country Club. I picked up a lot of techniques and discovered just how much fun food can be!
Last weekend we were a little low on groceries and I decided to see what I could whip up with what was lurking around in the fridge and pantry. I found one-half of a poppy seed baguette, half a package of pastrami and 1/3-package of brown sugar ham lunch meat; half a jar of sundried tomato pesto; and 1/2-cup of shredded Cheddar cheese.
Believe it or not, these make a very tasty gourmet sandwich. I'm sure you could use most any type of bread, lunch meat or cheese, but keep the pesto. That's the part that makes it gourmet! To make these grilled gourmet lunch meat sandwiches, follow these simple instructions:
Grilled Gourmet Lunch Meat Sandwiches
- Preheat a griddle (or skillet) to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt about 1 tablespoon of butter and using a pastry brush, lightly coat one side of each baguette slice.
- Lightly spread sundried tomato pesto on the opposite side of each baguette slice.
- Place 3-6 slices of meat per sandwich on the griddle.
- Place each baguette slice, butter side down, on the griddle.
- Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese onto the pesto side of each slice of bread.
- Place 2-3 pieces of the heated lunch meat on top of each slice of bread. This helps to melt the cheese.
- Place two slices of bread, along with the meat & cheese together. Then using a spatula, flatten the sandwich out.
- Remove from griddle, transfer to a plate and enjoy!
Visit the largest online pickle store stocked with pickled vegetables and fruits.