I have many fond memories of meatloaf. It smells so yummy when it's baking. It's super easy to make and best of all, it's relatively inexpensive. Below is one of my favorite versions of meatloaf. You can use different types of meat if you like. You can also add in additional spices such as parsley and basil, cayenne pepper or garlic salt. Feel free to get creative and experiment with the recipe to find the flavors that suit your taste buds.
Gourmet Meatloaf Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup Onion, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Salt
1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 pound Extra Lean Ground Beef or Turkey
1/2 pound Ground Pork or Italian Sausage
2 large Eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup plain Bread Crumbs
1 14-ounce can Italian Tomatoes, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large heavy skillet saute the onion and garlic in olive oil, over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes; stir occassionally.
- Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the meats, eggs, bread crumbs, and sauteed vegetables.
- Form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased rectangular baking pan.
- Bake meatloaf in oven for 45 minutes.
- Drain juice from tomatoes and pour over the top of the meatloaf.
- Return to oven and continue baking for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving platter and voila - you have a delicious Gourmet Meatloaf!