As a food blogger, I am often asked to test and review products. Such is the case with Success® Rice. You're likely familiar with the brand, as they revolutionized the boil-in-bag process; making it a breeze to prepare perfect rice in 10 minutes.
Success Rice sent a package of their fragrant Thai Jasmine white rice, which has a nutty flavor and flowery fragrance. Jasmine rice is one of my favorites and I use it often.
I was given free reign to prepare any type of dish I wanted. As one who loves to experiment with different techniques and flavor profiles, I decided to try a Brazilian-Thai fusion entree.
I scoured Success Rice Pinterest page for ideas. I was inspired by several pins and am now armed with a new arsenal of rice recipes. It offers a wealth of information and great options for easy family dinners, comfort foods, lunch recipes, seasonal dishes and much more.
I also visited the Success Rice website, which offers hundreds of recipes for everything from breakfast to dessert. They have a great Healthy Living section and provide an abundance of product information, cooking tips, and frequently asked cooking questions.
The following recipe is a take on Brazilian black bean stew and Thai garlic butter rice. Since the rice recipe includes garlic, onion, butter and olive oil, I opted to cook the rice out of the bag. This is a recommended technique and Success provides cooking directions on their website.
Additionally, the rice is cooked in beef broth rather than water, to provide a rich, robust flavor. This method is also recommended in the cooking tips section.
Black Beans and Rice with Bacon and Andouille Sausage
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Bacon, Sausage, Black Bean Stew
4-5 slices hickory smoked Bacon, diced
2 links Andouille Sausage, quartered and diced
1/2 large White Onion, finely chopped
1 medium Green Bell Pepper, finely chopped
2 (16 oz) cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
3 large Garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp dried Parsley
1 tsp Adobo seasoning
1 tsp ground Cumin
1 tsp ground Black Pepper
1 Bay leaf
2 cups Beef Broth
1 medium Tomato, medium chopped
Butter Garlic Rice
2 individual packages Success Jasmine Rice
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp unsalted Butter
3-4 Scallions, finely chopped, (1/3 cup)
3 large Garlic cloves, minced
1 Bay leaf
2-1/2 cups Beef Broth
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add chopped bacon and stir frequently to render fat. Cook until edges begin to brown, then add sausage. Stir together and cook for about 5 minutes or until sausage skin begins to crisp.
2. Add onion and green pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes until onion becomes translucent. Stir frequently.
3. Add the black beans, garlic, seasonings, and bay leaf. Stir together and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add beef broth and reduce heat to medium low. The stew needs to simmer for about 25 minutes, or until beans begin to break down and easily mashed with a fork.
5. In a medium saucepan, add olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the butter, onion and garlic. Place over medium heat and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until onion becomes translucent. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
6. Add Success Jasmine rice and Bay leaf. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the edge of grains becomes translucent. Stir frequently.
7. Carefully add beef stock and stir to incorporate ingredients. Increase heat to high and bring rice to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
8. Steam the rice for 18 minutes and DO NOT remove the lid. Continue stirring stew and add additional beef broth if it becomes too thick.
9. Remove rice from heat and gently fluff with a fork.
10. Transfer to a plate and serve items side by side or spoon the stew on top of the rice.
I'm very glad I had the opportunity to experiment with Success Jasmine Rice and hope I've inspired you to try something new. One thing is certain, the company lives up to their name and provides a no-fail rice that is aromatic, flavorful and easy to prepare.
Get more recipe ideas from Success Rice via their Facebook page and join their "Riceipe Club"® to receive coupons and special offers, contests and sweepstakes, customer surveys, product taste tests, and e-newsletters.