Everything about these BBQ bacon wrapped meatloaf onion bombs is amazing and certain to please the carnivores in your family. Not only are they easy to prepare, they can be made in advance and frozen for those nights when you don't want to cook.
I wish I could take full credit for the recipe, but instead it is adapted from one I found at MyFridgeFood.com. It's a great source for all types of recipes based on what you currently have in the fridge, plus guests can submit their own recipes for a chance to win prizes.
For us, the beef onion bomb is a meal in itself, but it would pair well with a fresh garden salad, steamed green beans, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes or fries.
BBQ BACON WRAPPED MEATLOAF ONION BOMBS
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 pound grassfed ground beef
1/4 medium Green Bell Pepper, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground Pink Himalayan Salt
1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs (we like Emeril's Original Panko breadcrumbs)
1 medium egg, beaten
1/4 cup Half & Half or whole milk
1/4 cup BBQ sauce, plus extra for brushing (my favorite is The Shed Spicy Sweet BBQ Sauce)
2 medium White or Yellow onions
6 thick slices Applewood or Hickory Bacon
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine all ingredients except onions and bacon.
3. Cut the top and bottom off each onion and remove skin. Cut in half and remove core, leaving 3-4 thick outside layers.
4. Divide meat mixture in half and roll into balls.
5. Wrap onion halves around meat to create a seal around the meatball.
6. Wrap each bomb with 3 slices of bacon and secure with toothpicks.
7. Bake in glass casserole dish for 45 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
8. Brush with BBQ sauce and bake an additional 5 minutes. Serve immediately.