Do you like frozen chocolate-covered bananas? If so, you are going to love these Chocolate Banana Changas. This easy-to-prepare dessert includes a banana smothered with chocolate chips, wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla, deep-fried and and slathered with pecans, caramel and chocolate sauce.
The following recipe makes a perfect after-dinner dessert for two. You can easily double or triple the recipe as needed. These do not store well, as the deep fried changa tends to get too greasy after cooling. It's best to eat these hot, while the chocolate is still melted.
CHOCOLATE BANANA CHANGA
Prep Time: 10-12 minutes
1 quart Peanut, Vegetable or Canola oil
2 medium fresh Bananas, peeled
2 Tablespoons semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
2 (10-inch) Whole Wheat Tortillas
1 Egg, yolk only
2 Tablespoons Pecan pieces
2 scoops Chocolate or Vanilla ice cream
4 ounces Caramel Sauce, warmed
1 ounce Chocolate Syrup
1) Add oil to large 6-quart saucepan. Turn heat to medium-high and allow oil to rise to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Place tortillas on microwave-safe plate, cover with waxed paper and heat for 1 minutes. You want the tortilla to be pliable and easy to work with, so do not overheat.
3) Roll bananas in chocolate chips, then place in center of tortilla. Fold ends over, then wrap tightly.
4) Whisk egg yolks and using a pastry brush, coat the tortilla to create a seal.
5) Deep fry changa until golden brown and chocolate is melted; about 4 minutes.
6) Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
7) Transfer to serving dish. Cut the changa diagnonally, in the center. Arrange changa with points up on dessert plate.
8) Add scoop of ice cream in center of two pieces.
9) Sprinkle with pecans, then drizzle with caramel sauce and chocolate syrup. Serve immediately.