Have you ever wondered how to make high heel cupcake shoes? They've become all the rage and bakeries charge an arm and leg to make them. The good news is you can make these gorgeous edible shoes for a fraction of the cost. Better yet, recipients will be highly impressed with your baking talent.
Making homemade high heel cupcake shoes isn't difficult, but does take some time. It takes about two hours to make a dozen shoes from start to finish. Here's what you'll need to prepare the shoes, along with a step-by-step pictorial.
Homemade High Heel Cupcake Shoes
Prep Time: 2 hours
1 box Cake Mix
1 container Frosting
12 designer paper cupcake tins
12 Graham Crackers (regular or chocolate)
12 Pirouette Cookies
3 ounces Ready-to-Use Gum Paste
½ cup granulated Sugar
1. Prepare cupcakes according to package directions. Use elegant, funky designs, or colored cupcake papers.
2. Make a shoe stencil by cutting a piece of paper the length of a graham cracker and trimming the edges at an angle. Place stencil over each cracker and trim edges with a sharp knife.
3. Apply a thin coat of frosting to each cracker and let air dry for 30 minutes.
6. Frost each cupcake and top with colored sugar, sprinkles, or edible gold dust.
7. Now it's time to assemble the cupcake shoes. Begin by placing a small ball of gum paste on the pirouette cookie and gently attach to the angled portion of the graham cracker.
8. Place the graham cracker about 1/3rd of the way on the top of the cupcake. Carefully position the heel and pipe a thin layer of icing to hold it in place.
9. Pipe icing around edge of cracker and across the edge that rests on the cupcake.