I recently received a bottle of KC Masterpiece Southern Style BBQ Sauce through the FoodBuzz Tastemaker program with KC Masterpiece. I've been a fan of KC Masterpiece for as long as I've been cooking and was eager to try their new sauce.
The KC Masterpiece Southern Style BBQ Sauce is thin-bodied with slightly tangy notes of cider vinegar and a bit of heat from red and black pepper.
I wanted to create a sweet and tangy flavor, so I whipped up a wet rub consisting of dark brown sugar, fresh garlic, onion powder, Beau Monde seasoning, and a splash of BBQ sauce, then brushed the chicken in BBQ sauce during the final minutes of grilling.
The brown sugar rub can be tricky to cook with as it creates a caramel-coating that is sticky and can burn easily on the grill. For this reason, I cooked the chicken on low heat to minimize the black crunch. The end result was a sweet and tangy chicken with just a hint of spicy notes at the back of the throat.
I served the KC Masterpiece Southern Style BBQ Chicken with sides of baked beans, baked garlic cheddar mashed muffins, and yeast dinner rolls. I used a whole cut-up chicken and turned the leftovers into a BBQ chicken salad.
My husband and I absolutely loved the new KC Masterpiece sauce. It's thinner than most of the bottled sauces I've used in the past, which I really liked because it didn't overpower the flavor of the meal. I can't wait to try it on pulled pork, ribs, and my slow-roasted beef brisket.
KC MASTERPIECE SOUTHERN STYLE BBQ CHICKEN
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1 whole Chicken, cut-up
1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 large cloves Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Beau Monde seasoning
2 teaspoons dry Chicken Rub
1/2 cup + 2 teaspoons KC Masterpiece Southern Style BBQ Sauce
1. Preheat gas grill to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Rinse whole chicken with cool water and pat dry. Cut into pieces.
3. In small bowl, combine dark brown sugar, garlic, onion powder, Beau Monde seasoning, dry chicken rub, and 2 teaspoons KC Masterpiece Southern Style BBQ Sauce.
4. Gently massage rub onto chicken pieces.
5. Place on grill and cook for 25 minutes, turning chicken pieces half-way through cooking.
6. Brush chicken pieces with remaining 1/2-cup of BBQ Sauce during final 5 minutes of cooking.
7. Remove from grill and serve immediately.