I recently served these gorgonzola cheese stuffed dates wrapped in prosciutto appetizers at a wedding. They were a big hit and several people asked for the recipe. Not only do the dates taste amazing, they are super simple to make and can be served warm or at room temperature; making them a great appetizer for nearly any occasion.
Another great thing about the gorgonzola cheese stuffed dates wrapped in prosciutto is they can be made a day ahead. I stored them in a resealable plastic bag placed in the refrigerator overnight. I wouldn't recommend making them more than 1 day in advance to prevent the prosciutto from drying out.
You could substitute prosciutto with bacon or thin slices of maple-glazed ham. These can be baked in the oven; grilled on a flatop griddle or electric skillet; or an indoor grill. I hope you enjoy this semi-healthy-dessert-appetizers as much as we do!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 8-10 minutes
24 whole Medjool Dates, pitted
1/2 cup Gorgonzola Cheese, crumbled
12 slices Prosciutto
1. Place 24 toothpicks in water and soak for 10 minutes to prevent burning in oven.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Slice dates in half, being careful not to slice all the way through. Remove pit.
4. Stuff each date with 1 teaspoon Gorgonzola cheese.
7. Remove from oven. Transfer to serving plate and serve immediately. Place leftovers in airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.