This recipe for brie cheese and bacon stuffed chicken in phyllo came to me after making my Greek Feast for Two Dinner Menu. I had plenty of leftover phyllo dough and wanted to try something besides dessert recipes.
The process for making brie cheese and bacon stuffed chicken in phyllo is relatively simple, but does require extra organization. The chicken breasts need to be flattened out for ease of rolling them up. I place the chicken breasts in a resealable bag and flatten with a rolling pin. Take the phyllo dough out of the refrigerator as you begin to prepare the chicken. Cook the bacon ahead of time so it is cool enough to break into small pieces.
Brie Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Chicken in Phyllo
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 35 to 40 minutes
2 (6-oz) boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
2 slices Bacon, cooked extra crispy, chopped
2 ounces Brie Cheese
8 Phyllo Pastry sheets, thawed
3 Tablespoons unsalted Butter, melted
1. Cook bacon slices in medium skillet over medium-high heat. If desired, cut bacon into small chunks prior to cooking. Turn bacon slices or stir bacon bits until extra crispy. Transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain excess grease.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Place chicken breasts, one at a time, in quart-size resealable plastic bag. Using a rolling pin or heavy glass bottle, gently pound and roll chicken breasts to 1/2-inch thickness.
4. Cut brie cheese into 2-inch slices. Place 1-ounce of cheese approximately 2-inches from the narrow end of the breast. Top with crumbled bacon.
5. Fold chicken over cheese and bacon and roll twice; making certain ends are closed. Secure with toothpicks. Set aside.
6. Use 4 sheets of phyllo dough per chicken breast. Melt butter in microwave. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush each phyllo sheet with butter. Place buttered sheets on top of one another.
7. Place chicken breast in center of phyllo dough. Carefully remove toothpicks. Wrap sides of phyllo, than wrap ends; making a package.
8. Transfer chicken breasts to oven-safe glass baking dish. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until phyllo dough is medium-golden brown.
9. Let sit for 5 minutes. Slice chicken breasts open. Transfer to serving dish and enjoy!