The following homemade vegetable stock recipe is super easy to make. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen up to 3 months. Homemade vegetable stock makes a great soup base and is perfect for cooking rice, quinoa or millet or as a substitute for chicken broth. It adds an earthy flavor to Quick and Easy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings!
HOMEMADE VEGETABLE STOCK RECIPE
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
Ready in: 2 hours, 15 minutes
1 Onion, yellow (skin on)
3 cloves Garlic (skin on)
3 Celery stalks (with leaves)
2 Carrots, large (unpeeled)
1 bunch Spinach, fresh
1 teaspoon Olive oil
1 teaspoon each sage, thyme, marjoram, turmeric, parsley
2 Bay leaves
6 Black peppercorns, whole
pinch of nutmeg and ginger
10 cups Water
1. Wash and rinse vegetables, leaving skin intact.
2. Sauté whole veggies in olive oil for 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
3. Add seasonings and cook an additional 2 minutes.
4. Add 10 cups water. Bring to boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 1-2 hours. If the taste isn't strong enough, simmer for an additional 1/2 hour.
5. Strain through a cheesecloth squeezing veggies to extract any juice.
6. Freeze or use within 5 days.