I thought, what the heck… why not grind the corn chips in a food processor and improvise? The corn chips I used were pretty stale, which may or may not be the key to the recipe. I've yet to try these meatballs using fresh corn chips.
The meatballs were quite tasty, with just a hint of corn chip flavor. I imagine kids would really like these meatballs. You could easily substitute ground beef with ground turkey, chicken or pork, or use half pork and half ground beef. Feel free to experiment and create your own version of corn chip meatballs!
Homemade Corn Chip Meatballs with Spaghetti Recipe
Serves: 4 (16 meatballs)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
1 pound lean Ground Beef
¼ cup Red Onion, finely chopped
¼ cup Green Pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
½ cup Corn Chips, finely ground
2 teaspoons dried Oregano
1 teaspoon dried Basil
½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 ounces shredded Mozzarella Cheese, optional
Directions:1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, expect olive oil and mix with hands to incorporate all ingredients.
2. Using a cookie dough scoop, or hands, make 16 one-ounce meatballs.
3. Add olive oil to 12-inch skillet and heat over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium and gently place meatballs in skillet and cover with a lid.
5. Cook meatballs for 2-3 minutes per side.
6. Cook each side of meatballs for 1 minute.
7. Line a plate with paper towels and transfer meatballs to plate to absorb excess oil.
8. Serve on top of cooked spaghetti and add your favorite sauce.
9. Top with mozzarella cheese, if desired.
Side Note: Cook spaghetti according to package directions. I used regular spaghetti, which takes 10-12 minutes to cook. Start water prior to cooking meatballs. Once it comes to a rapid boil, add spaghetti and stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Drain in a colander and serve immediately.
This recipe pairs well with garlic bread or garlic toast and a fresh salad.
Looking for homemade pasta sauce recipes? Check out my Yahoo! Contributor Network article ~ Homemade Sauces: Three Easy-to-Prepare Pasta Sauces
Thank you for shopping with our affiliates. The Cheap Gourmet earns commissions when visitors purchase from our carefully selected merchants. Affiliate earnings help offset business expenses and allow us to continue providing free recipes, giveaways, product deals and other fun stuff!