Tired of the same old red beans and rice recipe? Looking for a way to spice up this protein-packed, high carbohydrate meal? If so, you're going to love today's gourmet red beans and rice recipe. Best, of all, it's easy to prepare and is super affordable.
My husband was raised on red beans and rice. When I suggest making it for dinner, he gives me that "I'll eat it if I have to, but I'd rather not" look. Personally, I could eat red beans and rice at least three times a week. I love it!
Did you know that eating a high carbohydrate meal before bedtime can help you sleep better? I'm an insomniac. Or, maybe I'm a night owl. I've always been one who prefers to stay up 'till the wee hours of the morning and sleep in. That's why I love being self-employed as a writer. I can make my own hours and don't have to crawl out of bed at the crack of dawn. But, I digress...
I haven't been sleeping well lately and really needed a good night of rest. I knew red beans and rice would do the trick, but also knew my husband would prefer something else. So, I decided to get a little creative and see how I could jazz the recipe up to suit both of our tastes.
We were blown away by the results and think you will be too! I used Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice New Orleans Style box mix. Personally, I think their brand is the best. It doesn't leave an aftertaste in your mouth like some of the other packaged red beans and rice mixes. For those reducing their salt intake, Zatarain's has three new reduced sodium products, one of which is red beans and rice.
In case your wondering, I had a wonderful night of sleep after consuming this meal. If you have trouble sleeping, I hope this recipe can help you get your zzzzz's.
GOURMET RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1 box Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice New Orleans Style
1/2 package Johnsonville New Orleans Brand Smoked Sausage (3 sausages, sliced 1-inch thick, then quartered)
2 Toufayan Bakeries Whole Wheat Flatbreads
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Slice Johnsonville New Orleans Smoke Sausage into 1-inch thick rounds, then slice rounds into halves or quarters, depending on your preference.
- In a 2-quart pot, add sausage and cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until edges start to brown. Place a paper towel on a small plate and place sausage on top to drain.
- Add sausage to Zatarain's Red Beans as Rice and cook per package instructions.
- Place one Toufayan Whole Wheat Flatbread on a plate.
- Top with red beans and rice and spread mixture to the edges.
- Top with 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese and serve immediately.
Ready to save big bucks at the grocery store?
Click on the banner below to obtain printable coupons and product samples.