Today, I'd like to share a super simple summer salad with grilled chicken and a side of bread with melted brie cheese. This recipe takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and is packed with protein, calcium, fiber and flavor!
You can make this super simple summer salad using a prepackaged salad mix. However, I prefer to use fresh ingredients. It is actually cheaper to buy the vegetables and chop them your self. The salad will be much fresher and crisp and tends to last longer than the bagged salad mixes.
Perdue Chicken offers prepackaged chicken breasts, which are perfect for adding to salads. They are the perfect portion size and come in a variety of flavors. The Italian marinated chicken works great with this particular recipe. You can also use packaged chicken strips or plain chicken breasts. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination!
Super Simple Summer Salad with Grilled Chicken and Bread with Melted Brie Cheese
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
2 6-ounce skinless, boneless Chicken Breasts
1/2 bunch Romaine lettuce, stems removed and chopped
1/4 head Iceberg lettuce, chopped
1 Carrot, diced
1 stalk Celery, diced
2 Green Onions, chopped
1 medium Tomato, chopped
Salt and Pepper, if desired
1/4 loaf Artisan Bread (found in the bakery of most supermarkets)
1/4 round Alouette Baby Brie, thinly sliced
- If using regular chicken breasts, add salt and pepper or other seasonings of choice. I like Mrs. Dash because it adds a nice flavor. You could also use McCormick's Roasted Garlic seasoning or marinate the chicken in 1/4 cup of Dale's Seasoning for 10 minutes.
- Cook chicken in the broiler or on a gas or charcoal grill. Cook for 6-7 minutes per side or until center is no longer pink.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare salad mix.
- Wash and dry vegetables. If using packaged salad mix, empty bag into colander and rinse with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Loosely chop romaine and head lettuce. Cut spine out of romaine leaves.
- Dice celery and carrots.
- Remove the root from green onions and slice thin rounds.
- Quarter tomato, remove seeds (if desired) and cut into chunks.
- Toss ingredients together and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Slice four 1/2-inch thick bread slices from Artisan Bread.
- Cut four 1/4-inch slices of Baby Brie and place on top of bread.
- Remove chicken from broiler or grill and place on plate. Allow to set for 5 minutes.
- Place bread on baking sheet and place in 350-degree oven. Heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven.
- Slice chicken into strips or cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
- Transfer salad to serving plates.
- Top with grilled chicken and add salad dressing, if desired.
- Serve with two slices of baked bread with melted brie cheese.