Since it is officially fall, I felt there was no better time to share mom's "Fall Harvest Pumpkin Bread" recipe. Mom served this hearty loaf bread throughout the fall and winter season. I remember one time she made the pumpkin bread for the adults attending a Halloween Party. I loved the aromas bursting from the oven and couldn't wait to indulge in a slice. Mom told me the bread was Halloween candy for grown-ups and if there was any left over, I could have it. There was never any leftover!
When I became a mom and my daughter was involved with Girl Scouts, I made mini loaves of mom's pumpkin bread and gave them to the parents. I attached a card that said "Grown-up Halloween Candy" and included the recipe on the back. Everyone loved the idea. With the holidays rapidly approaching, I'd be delighted if you baked mom's "Fall Harvest Pumpkin Bread" and give them away as gifts. Feel free to share the recipe with everyone you love and tell them it is a gift from heaven ;-)
BARB'S FALL HARVEST PUMPKIN BREAD
Yield: 2 bread loaves
3 cups Sugar
2/3 cup Vegetable shortening
1 1-pound can Pumpkin
3-1/2 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
2/3 cup Water
1 teaspoon Allspice
1/2 cup chopped Walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grease and flour two 8"x4"x2-1/2" loaf pans.
In large mixing bowl combine sugar and vegetable shortening. Using hand mixer, cream sugar and shortening together on low speed.
- Add pumpkin and mix on low for about one minute.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat each egg for 20 seconds, then add another egg until all four eggs are combined with batter.
- Using the low setting on the mixer, add flour 1 cup at a time until all 3-1/2 cups are combined with batter.
- Add remaining dry ingredients, except for walnuts. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, or until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add walnuts and using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold nuts into mixture.
- Pour half of the batter in each loaf pan and spread mixture evenly.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, place on cooling rack.
- Cut into 1-inch slices and enjoy!