One of my favorite soups is Minestrone. I love the combination of the vegetables, beans and pasta. However, like many Americans I'm attempting to reduce my intake of carbohydrates. I decided to experiment with my all-time favorite Minestrone Soup recipe. I wanted to create a soup that would be filling, satisfying and full of flavor.
The following Minestrone Soup recipe is a hearty soup, yet offers a light mouth-feel. I added Asiago cheese for a boost of flavor and to replace the substance of the pasta. One ounce of Asiago cheese contains a mere .67 grams of carbohydrates. In comparison, one ounce of macaroni pasta contains approximately 5 grams of carbs. Asiago is relatively low in fat content, with one-ounce containing 8.7 grams.
This recipe will serve four as a main course or six as an appetizer. If you want to further enhance the flavor, make the soup the day before you plan to serve it.
Asiago Minestrone Soup
Serves 4 (main course) or 6 (appetizer)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large White or Yellow Onion, chopped
1 cup Baby Carrots, sliced diagonally
3 cups Chicken Broth (use low-sodium if desired)
1 cup Water (add White Wine for a boost in flavor)
1 can (15-ounce) Diced Tomatoes (or use 2 cups fresh, seeds removed)
3 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
1 bunch Swiss Chard, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon dried Parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
1 medium Zucchini, chopped into 1-inch cubes
1/4 pound fresh Green Beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 can (15-ounce) Cannellini Beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
1 cup fresh Basil leaves, chopped
1 cup Asiago Cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add onion and carrots. Cook until onions are soft and translucent; about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water (or white wine), tomatoes, garlic, Swiss chard, herbs and pepper.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook 7-8 minutes.
- Add zucchini, green beans and cannellini beans; stir to combine ingredients. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add Swiss Chard and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Add basil leaves, remove from heat and stir well to incorporate ingredients.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with Asiago cheese.