The following Sweet and Sassy Crockpot Chicken recipe is the most amazing dish I have ever tasted. The flavors are a cross between Bourbon Chicken and Sweet and Sour Chicken. This recipe is super easy to adapt. While it calls for a whole cut-up chicken, you can also use either bone-in or boneless chicken breasts, but will need to adjust the cooking time.
Before you start cooking Sweet and Sassy Crockpot Chicken, allow me to share a few tips with you.
- If you use chicken breasts, reduce the amount of brown sugar to between 1/2 and 3/4 cup.
- Reduce the cooking time by 75 percent by using breast meat cut into chunks. This method only requires a 2 hour cooking time over low heat.
- Last, but not least, you can also cook this recipe on the stovetop by using boneless chicken breasts cut into strips or chunks.
SWEET AND SASSY CROCKPOT CHICKEN RECIPE
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 hours crockpot; 45 minutes stovetop
1 whole Chicken, cut-up
1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
2/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 cup Lemon-Lime soda
4 Garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
2-3 Green Onions, sliced, optional
- Wash and pat dry chicken. Place in Crockpot.
- In small bowl, mix together remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.
- Turn heat to low and cook chicken for 6 to 8 hours.
- Carefully remove from Crockpot using large tongs.
- Transfer pieces to serving bowl. Top with fresh green onions if desired and serve immediately.
This chicken tastes heavenly when served over rice or noodles. Add a fresh salad and hot dinner rolls for a satisfying meal on a cold winter night.