Pumpkin Bread with Cranberries and Almonds
Yield: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour (or all-purpose white)
1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp Nutmeg, ground
1/4 tsp Ginger, ground
1/4 tsp Cloves, ground
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
3/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 cup Pumpkin, canned, solid pack
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup dried sweetened Cranberries
1/2 cup coarsely chopped unsalted Almonds
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Butter 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Line bottom and long sides with waxed or parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until blended. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until blended.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla; beat on medium-low speed until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Slowly add one-third of of dry ingredients and one-third of buttermilk into pumpkin mix. Repeat two more times.
- Fold in cranberries and almonds.
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon sugar, if desired.
- Place loaf pan in oven and bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean; about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool bread in pan on baking rack for 15 minutes.
- Cut bread at short ends of pan to loosen. Turn bread out onto rack; peel off waxed paper.
- Cool completely before serving.
*Pumpkin Bread with Cranberries and Almonds can be made up to two days in advance. Securely wrap loaf in plastic wrap and store in cool, dry area. Bread can be frozen up to 3 months if wrapped in plastic wrap, then a layer of foil. Let thaw at room temperature.