Pumpkin and Romano Dumplings
A touch of crispiness and a dusting of cheese is the perfect balance with the smooth pumpkin texture.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
2 tsp salt for boiling water
1 cup Pumpkin, canned solid-pack
2 large Egg
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Nutmeg, ground or 1/2 tsp freshly grated
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (or all-purpose white)
6 Tbsp Butter, unsalted
1 cup Romano cheese, finely grated
- Fill a large pot halfway full of water. Add salt and bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin, egg, sea salt, nutmeg and baking powder.
- Add flour, 1/3-cup at a time and mix well. Dough will be soft.
You'll want to use the 1/2-teaspoon from a measuring spoon set for the next step. If you don't have a measuring spoon set, use a teaspoon, but only scoop out 1/2-teaspoon of dough.
- Dip the teaspoon in boiling water, then scoop up a generous 1/2-teaspoon of dough.
- Place the dough into boiling water, allowing dough to drop off spoon.
- Continue this process until you run out of dough.
- Boil dumplings until thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Drain dumplings in colander.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add dumplings.
- Sauté until outside begins to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl, sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.