Baked Stuffed Pumpkin with Rice Pilaf
Baked Stuffed Pumpkin
Pumpkin Prep Time: 15 minutes
Pumpkin Bake Time: 1 hour
Pilaf Prep Time: 5 minutes
Pilaf Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
1 5-6 pound Pumpkin
3-3/4 cups Water
1 cup Brown Rice
1/2 cup Wild Rice
1 Tbsp Butter, unsalted
1 cup Shallots, finely chopped
2 small Granny Smith apples, cored and diced
3/4 cup Pecans, chopped
1/8 tsp Cinnamon, ground
1/8 tsp Nutmeg, ground
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 Tbsp Apple Cider
1/2 cup Golden Raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off top of pumpkin. Scoop out seeds and pulp and discard.
- Place the pumpkin and pumpkin top on a baking sheet.
- Bake in center of oven until inside of pumpkin is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cover top of pumpkin with foil.
- While pumpkin is baking, add water to medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add brown and white rice and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook until most of the water has been absorbed, about 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add scallions and saute until light golden brown.
- Add apples, pecans, spices, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add apple cider and saute additional 5 minutes.
- Add raisins and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and combine with rice. Mix well.
- Transfer rice pilaf into pumpkin and cover with top.
- When serving, scoop out pumpkin flesh with pilaf.