Below is my all-time favorite Blueberry Buttermilk Coffee Cake Recipe. This recipe was developed by me when I worked as a prep chef at a health food store. Trust me when I say this is a really yummy coffee cake and healthy as well!
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1 egg plus 3 egg whites
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1/3 cup pureed pitted prunes
3/4 cup buttermilk or soy milk
1/2 cup mashed banana
2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/3 cup Turbinado sugar (or use brown sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly oil a 13x9-inch baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold in the blueberries.
- In another bowl, whisk together the honey or maple syrup, egg and egg whites, oil, prunes, buttermilk or soy milk, and banana.
- Combine the contents of both bowls, mixing briefly, than pour the batter into the baking dish. Smooth the top of the batter with a spatula. Sprinkle with walnuts and brown sugar.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the coffeecake comes out clean.
- Let cool and serve.
Click the banner below to discover delicious gourmet breakfast mixes, syrups, and more.